Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tarot As Muse



I've been trying to finish my current collage series. I call it The Square Deck because the cardboard cards are 5" by 5". I only have three more left to do, but I'm stuck. I've been stuck for months.

The tarot has become my inspiration - loosely, not literally. This group of collages is NOT a tarot deck, though it may be some kind of amorphous free-association something-or-other. The tarot is merely a way to structure my series, a road map if you like. I've used Egyptian symbols for the Major Arcana. There are only two left: The Hanged Man and The Tower, but I can't seem to make them work.

I worked on The Tower last night. I used the face of an eroded Sphinx against the background of burning buildings, but it didn't look right. The irony of Egypt's present day situation is not lost on me: towers and buildings literally burning in the background as truth speaks to power.

No comments:

Post a Comment