Sunday, February 6, 2011

Arcane Rituals


I love making collages. I savor the process of my self-imposed creation rituals -- so here they are for you to savor, too, or to yawn through as you choose:

First I find images that I like, then cut them out. Designing the card takes a long time. I sift through my picture box, obsessively arranging and re-arranging pieces until my inner jigsaw falls into place.

Next I apply Gesso to the cardboard square and let it dry. Then I choose a paint color that harmonizes with the image. Sometimes it takes several voluptuous layers before the card is properly covered. Occasionally, I brush a translucent color over the first one. It's iridescent and glistens when you hold it up to the light, subtly altering the original shade.

OK. the paint has dried. Time to rehearse so that I don't mess up the pieces when I actually glue them onto the board. The glueing process is always tricky (or shall I say "sticky'?).  Aha, it's done! Or almost. Now I have to paste the title on the back. (I find my titles from magazines and books. I choose phrases that are suggestive of the image but not too literal.)

Title's done. Wait for it to dry. Scan it. Show it on Facebook. Now for the last part: brushing the surface with transparent gloss to protect it.

And here it is, cradled in my hands, glowing and beautiful. I put it up on the mantle and revel in it. Ah. Satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment