Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Unconditional Love


I always enjoy preparing the invitations to my monthly collage party. For the front of the card, I pick a collage that someone made in the group. This month, I chose my own. (See above.)

In the evening I led the monthly free-writing group at the Lakeview Library. Jeanne Lupton used to lead this group. I volunteered to take over after she went on to bigger and better things, but whenever the meeting comes around, I dread it. I'm afraid that no one will come, or that too many people will.

Once I'm there, it's great -- and so it was this time. Eight people showed up and four of them were new, which was gratifying. We each select two topics; then we throw our slips of paper into the middle of the table and randomly choose which ones to write about. Favorite subjects this time were "Unconditional Love, " "Food," "Basketball" and "Star-Gazing."

Collette wrote about her unconditional love of food. Ted wrote a beautiful piece about star-gazing. Oliver wrote about his love of basketball. After he got off from work, he used to choose his route home through the parks that had basketball courts. He'd stop to play in each one until he finally reached home. That story was particularly touching because Oliver is a diabetic whose legs are amputated. If he plays ball now, it would have to be from his wheelchair.


No comments:

Post a Comment