Monday, January 24, 2011

Free-Range Cats


One cat can seem like three. Actually, there was a cat at each house where we dined over the weekend. Deb's cat, Luna, appeared after dinner. She swept regally through our midst, but wasn't really interested in the proceedings. What she wanted was to be let outside. "To face down monster raccoons," explained Deb.

The other cat, whose name I do not know, was very ardent in her inexplicable attachment to me. After dinner, she insisted on accompanying me to the bathroom. She didn't actually use her cat box at the same time that I used the toilet -- (perhaps a mistake to get too graphic with the details) but she was very friendly in there.

She followed me out to the living room where she very loudly joined in the conversation. It was a free-ranging conversation covering the history of calendars, the tarot, physics, astrology and murder mysteries. It wound up with Russ reading us poetry. I stood at one side to listen while the cat sat at my feet imploring me to --?

"What do you want?" I asked her.

"She wants attention. That's all she ever wants," said LLyana."She's a very demanding beast."

So I picked her up and carried her over to the couch where I sat down and placed her in my lap. She immediately settled herself in for the long-term, converting her plaintive meows into contented purrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment