Friday, April 8, 2011

The World of Dreams


Our monthly collage party was fun as usual though I disliked my own collage. After having finished my last series, I find myself drifting without a purpose. In the meantime, I've surrendered to open-ended experimentation, but so far my new collages haven't turned out well. So I worry. Have I run out of inspiration, after a decade or more of obsession? I hope not. After all, I felt this way after I completed my Tarot deck. It took an entire year before I settled into my next series. That kept me happily employed for the next three years, but now I'm back in that in-between place and it's frustrating.

The collage party was fun, despite my angst. Though I disliked my own creation, I enjoyed what other people made. Christina worked on her word book, "Les Mots," pages full of black and white print, letters large and small in intricate designs. Katherine complained that she didn't have time to make more than one collage and then whipped out two. Deb made three. They seemed to flow effortlessly from her fingertips onto the page. Bob made three, sort of. Our theme was "words" and everyone except him gave it a try. He made two pieces (the surreal one you see above, which is beyond words) and a sculptural piece using flecked green and gold paper decorated with bits of bark and shell. I scolded him for no words so he did a third piece: "NO" made with scraps of wood from a palm tree.

My trouble is too many words. I want to float in the world of dreams like the little boy in Bob's picture, resting in mid-air above the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment