Thursday, April 28, 2011

Walking the Labyrinth


I took a walk by Lake Merritt. I went to the labyrinth. It's a small earth mound copied after the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral. In Oakland, it's a less grand affair, at present overgrown with clover and weeds from the rain. I walked it, anyhow.

It was a beautiful day. Seagulls spiraled over the lake. I even saw two geese in flight. You don't see that much around here. Mostly they're waddling all over the ground, defecating on the grass and paths. It's the season when baby goslings appear, but I haven't seen any so far. There were a lot of human babies, though, toddlers stumbling over the grass (or walking the maze) or infants in strollers manned by parents or nannies.

Looking up the labyrinth online, I discovered that it was designed by Alex Champion who apparently has constructed many of them. Several are scattered around California as public works projects. There's one in San Francisco's Chinatown and one in Petaluma. And then there are his privates ones, viewed by appointment only. It would be fun to embark on a labyrinth quest and hunt them all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment