Friday, April 22, 2011

Traveling Circus


Deb wanted to have a collage party at her house so our group moved over there. It was nice to be somewhere different, and besides, she provided snacks. (I never provide food at my parties so people have to bring their own.) We all munched on potato chips, crackers and various healthy spreads from Trader Joe's along with grapes, blue cheese, carrots, celery, and tangerines.

As usual, once we got going, the creativity started flowing. Chris painted moody purples and grays on his stack of curved wooden palettes and drew dream cartoons on slips of paper that he didn't show anyone. Christina worked on her book of cutout words, but she didn't have a word to say about them. Bob made a series of small cards featuring Death as their theme. In fact, Death was a recurring topic in our conversation. Katherine contributed to the mortality motif by making a collage full of watches and I finished the small book I've been working at -- on and off -- for eight years. I had originally intended it as a gift for Jamie. Fortunately, she was sitting beside me on Deb's couch. She was busy making a collage out of an old calendar.

At the last minute I offered my book to the group for some collective help. I had decorated the last two pages with black-and-white images. I knew they needed some color as well, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Chris intervened with a quick paint job so at last the book was finished and I could hand it over to Jamie, which I did.

Deb made three collages (see one of them above). I liked the slippery, sliding quality in all of them and the element of surprise. She said she works best in threes. I said I work best in a series. Bob said he was making pages for a book he intended to construct in future. Christina said collage parties are relaxing and therapeutic. Deb said she enjoyed giving one. Katherine said how about two a month? Chris said the group proved they could get along without having the party at my house every time. "We did fine in a new environment," he pronounced with satisfaction. "The circus travels."

No comments:

Post a Comment