Monday, April 18, 2011

Water Talk


Water-walking in the gym's pool -- so relaxing. I met Illyana or "You can call me Elena" or "American version, Helen" in the slow lane, a round young woman with rosy cheeks and a swimmer's muscular shoulders. She had an accent that sounded like my niece-in-law's mother, who is from Bosnia. "No, the Ukraine," replied Elena. "Russia. Same thing."

She was so friendly, so cheerful, so helpful, that I immediately warmed to her. She became my gym guru/guide. She told me which classes she prefers and why, recommended her favorite teachers, advised me on how to deal with injuries, gave me tips for wearing the bathing cap so that my hair wouldn't pull, told me which pool lanes were the best and what were the best days to come. But since she never stopped talking, I didn't get to do much walking. Oh, well. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment