Sunday, April 3, 2011

Farmers Market


I went to the Grand Lake Farmers Market bright and early this morning - about nine o'clock, which is early for me. It's a large farmer's market just down the hill from us. I often avoid it because it's so crowded, but I was in the mood this time so I went and didn't mind the crowds, even enjoyed them. The food was too expensive and as usual I bought too much, but how I could resist? I bought freshly made spinach fettuccine and butternut squash ravioli, a head of white garlic, two cartons of strawberries, a bunch of asparagus and a bunch of Swiss chard, a bag of baby spinach, a bag of mixed lettuces and a bag of small white potatoes. I spent a fortune, but I was moderate considering what was on offer. After all, I could have purchased pink radishes, golden beets, unblemished heads of white cauliflower and new spring onions, but I resisted. I also resisted the allure of wild mushrooms, smoked salmon and newly laid eggs, and nobly held back from the Red Hawk Triple-Cream cow's milk cheese.

The challenge is to actually eat this stuff. We've made a dent in the strawberries. Mmm, they are so good, the first ones of the season. We ate delicious squash and Ricotta ravioli for lunch, which melted in our mouths, alongside crisp steamed asparagus dressed in lemon olive oil. And for dinner we had spinach fettuccine with pesto. Are you hungry yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment