Saturday, April 2, 2011

RSVP


I always enjoy sending out invitations to my monthly collage party. I usually use a collage from the previous session, but that's been hard to do in the last few months since some of us are painting and others are making three-dimensional objects; in other words, creating art that is difficult to reproduce. So Christina came to the rescue and brought me one of her collages. I like it a lot because it's so blue and because it has words all over it. Besides, the words are in four languages: English, French, German and Arabic. (Sorry they're not legible here on the blog.)

On the back of the invitation, I put: "Let's do a theme. How about words?" (inspired by hers, of course.) I don't know if the group will go for it. They're a willful, disobedient bunch. It's hard to reign them in, much less steer them in a certain direction. They like to run wild. Sometimes I have to work to avoid a stampede.

I don't know how the metaphor about cattle came about. Artists as cows? Certainly nothing so domestic and placid as that. Maybe it's buffalo I'm talking about: wild woolly beasts thundering down the plains. That's them.

No comments:

Post a Comment