Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Earth is Humming


Blessed with blue skies and sun, we had a lovely day here in the East Bay; pleasantly warm, but not too hot. I spent the afternoon doing art with Christina at her dining room table. We spread out our art supplies and then had a happy time cutting and pasting stuff in our journals. Her dogs spread out, too. Nina took a nap by the glass door that slides out to the deck while Gigi slept on the deck's wooden boards, her brown fur dappled by sunlight.

Christina has a deep box filled with art stuff, some of which she passed on to me. I pasted a pair of legs in high-heeled shoes onto one of my pages. Immediately, she dug out two more pictures of high-heeled women from her magic box and donated them to my image pile. Flapper women, Eiffel Towers, a strip of white paper cut in geometric patterns; all were generously provided by Christina. "I'm trying to get rid of stuff," she explained, "so that new stuff can flow in." She created a red/hot pink/pink page and a green/gold/dreamy page, both quite romantic in tone. "You only come across this shade of pink in French magazines," she observed, thoughtfully. "I don't know why."

I created a page filled with dark moody images. It was kind of post-punk retro-fifties in tone, if you know what I mean. (I'm not sure I know what I mean.) Anyhow, it was fun. I've composed much of my art journal with stuff donated from other people. Last year, Chris bequeathed his seemingly bottomless box of collage material to our art group. I found a card in it that I pasted almost unaltered in my book, art thief that I am. I only added a golden butterfly and the words "The Earth is Humming" -- an appropriate title for my light and joyous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment