Saturday, June 11, 2011

Assorted Flavors


I met Deb at Julie's Coffee and Tea Garden for a writing session. She wrote. I ate two rosemary-cardamom cookies shaped like teapots and drank a glass of lavender-flavored lemonade. I don't seem to be into writing these days except for this blog. I people-watched instead.

Two guys entered the cafe separately, but you could tell they were together by their fashion sense. One had purple hair; the other an unnatural red. Both wore pink shirts, flowered vests and striped pants in hues of lavender and mauve. They looked like characters from Tim Burton's 3D version of Alice in Wonderland. Then a bevy of girls arrived, wearing violet clothes that matched their maroon hair. "It's very fifties," Deb said of their thrift town outfits. "Surreal fifties," I answered.

The fashion parade was interesting in that the young people weren't Third Generation Hippies, Goth/ Vampires or Tattooed Babes in Scanty Clothes, which is what I usually see around here. Their styles actually matched the decor of the tea garden itself with its quaint pink and blue teapots lined up on long wooden shelves. Had I licked one of the purple-haired guys, I'm sure he would have tasted like lavender lemonade. The girls, of course, came in assorted flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment