Friday, May 13, 2011

Paint It Black


Christina and I went to Artist & Craftsman Supply in Berkeley to be near the holy healing art products. Of course, we bought a few, too, but first we had to walk around the store ooh-ing and ah-ing as we examined various styles and sizes of blank notebooks, admired rows of glass jars filled with iridescent paint and fondled sheets of soft handmade paper.

She bought a jar of Yes Glue and some of the handmade paper -- stiff crinkly sheets of lime green and white. I bought a small blank notebook, a jar of black Gesso and a pen that writes in white ink. I'm determined to make an art journal even though I have no particular aptitude for it. (Collage is more my game.) Christina, mistress extraordinaire of art journaling, gave me a few tips about pens and helped me pick out the notebook.

I'm excited, but cautious about starting. It's less intimidating to think of my new project as an experiment, meaning that I want to try out a few techniques and materials rather than actually "make art." I usually have a plan in mind so to work in this open-ended way feels scary. All I know is that I want to paint the first few pages of my notebook BLACK!


No comments:

Post a Comment