Thursday, May 26, 2011

Champagne and Chipotle


I just indulged in a chocolate binge. I was walking down Grand Avenue when I suddenly had the urge so I dipped into Michael Mischer's store.  I bought three dark chocolate truffles: Champagne, Chipotle and Orange Zest. The clerk weighed them on a tiny scale, put them in ruffled paper cups and inserted the cups into a plastic bag, which he carefully tied.

"There are some here I mean to try, but I never get around to it," I told him. I can't remember his nationality, but I do remember him telling me once that he wasn't homesick for his country because he ABSOLUTELY loves California.  Anyhow, he said, "What kinds do you mean to try?"

"Well, the Tamarind sounds interesting."

"So here's a  sample. Try it. No, I insist. It's free. What have you got to lose? Bite into it and tell me what you think." He presented me with a square of dark chocolate decorated with squiggly purple stripes.

Readers, what could I do? Out of politeness, I had to partake. Of course, it was ABSOLUTELY delicious.

"Yes," he said wickedly. "First that intense hit of chocolate followed by the aftertaste of sour tamarind. It tingles your tongue."

Is this like wine-tasting? You have a few sips and then go home to devour the whole bottle? I'm not into wine, but I am a chocoholic so you know what happened next. Sour Tamarind, spicy Chipotle, fizzy Champagne, and wake-up Orange. Surely that's a balanced meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment