Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Domestic Day


In the morning, I baked a pound cake using a recipe from Michael Robert's Parisian Home Cooking. I'd never made a pound cake before. I discovered that the ingredients were quite sinful: two sticks of butter, five eggs and a vast quantity of sugar mixed with mace, cardamom, lemon zest and cake flour. It came out beautifully, though: dense, rich and sweet.

Then I went to the Farmer's Market to buy strawberries. On the way back, I stopped by the Lakeview Library to pick up a book on hold. The book was The Sherwood Ring, a children's book written by Elizabeth Marie Pope. I spent the afternoon reading it. It's about a young woman who comes to live with her uncle in New England where she encounters the ghosts of her Revolutionary War ancestors. It was the perfect book to read on a cool overcast day, followed by a cup of lemon-ginger tea with a slice of pound cake and strawberries.

In the evening Bob made us beef stew, the perfect meal for a rainy night; then we both sat at our computers and played endless games of Spider Solitaire until it was time to toddle off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment