Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gentle Conditioning


I meet Deb at the gym. She's in her Gentle Conditioning class. I look through the window, see them doing push-ups against the wall, "them" all being older ladies with white hair and Deb, younger than the rest, but like me, not so young. It's my first time there so I do 10 minutes on the recumbent bike, 0 level, then wait around for her to finish. She comes bursting out of class, her cheeks rosy with exertion.

"You should take this class," she brims over with enthusiasm.

"I don't think I'm up to it yet," is my feeble reply as we walk to the locker room.

"I want you to meet Shirley," she says. "An African-American woman I met here. I think she must be in her 80's, but she doesn't look it. She's great. She'll be an inspiration to you."

Just then, Shirley whirls around the corner. "Shirl! Come meet my friend Catherine. She's new to the gym." Shirley advances towards us, beaming. "You should take our class," she says.

"I don't think I can. My knees are giving out."

"Water-walking, then" she moves on, briskly. "I've had two knee replacements. You've got to build up the muscles around the knees. Good idea to do that now, before you get the surgery. But let me tell you, that surgery is a big deal. It hurts afterwards, You have to take your pain pills every time you do your exercises." She looks at me. "I won't lie to you. Not like some people did to me, telling me I'd be back to the gym in a couple of weeks. It takes a long time to heal." A radiant smile spreads across her face. "But then, girl, you got a whole new life. It's like being reborn!"

No comments:

Post a Comment