Friday, March 4, 2011

Art Saves The Day


Our monthly collage party is always fun, even though everyone was a bit grumpy this time. My theory is too much rain and gloom. It makes you cranky. But creating art is wonderful therapy so by the end of the session, we had become our usual delightful selves.

Chris worked on a painting featuring a fantasy creature. I think it was a centaur. I loved the swirly sky and pattern of dots on the beast's flank. The creature blended in so well with the background that the painting could have almost passed as an abstract. He also donated several picture frames to the group.

Bob chose one of them, a small wooden one with an inlaid pattern, and made two collages to fit inside it. He pasted a few solid objects against richly textured backgrounds so that the finished pieces looked three dimensional even though they weren't. Also, the colors and textures of each collage perfectly matched the patterned frame. I liked the contradiction of permanence (the frame) with impermanence (changing the pictures inside it) and I liked the idea of creating the picture from the frame instead of the other way round. Clever Bob.

Deb was our honorary guest. She made two jagged collages, one with eyes as its focus (excuse the pun) and one with white beach and surf. Lots of blue, white, and gray. Her collages are dynamic. I didn't get a good look at Katherine's collage because she was still struggling with it when we finished up. I know there was a pig in it. As for me, I've almost finished my little book, the one I've been working on for years. I covered one page with transparent orange paint and pasted another page with layers of see-through tissue paper. Very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment