Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Sensuous Summer


Forgive the break. I needed to take one, a vacation away from home, at home. How does one do that without actually going away? In one's head, of course, and in the body, too. I've been enjoying the weather: cool and foggy in the mornings, warm and sunny in the afternoons and cool again at night. Perfect!

Of course, Bob and I have taken a few trips away from the house, but we haven't ventured far. One day we went to the beach in Alameda with our friend Deborah. The three of us sat on a bench and let the gentle wind and sun play over our skins as we took in the seascape. The cloudless blue sky above the bay lulled us into a companionable silence.

Another day I had a massage at my gym. I've been having trouble sleeping, but Hilda's magic hands lulled me into drowsiness as her voice floated over me, recommending Chamomile tea and Melatonin for my insomnia. That night I slept.

A couple of times, Bob and I visited our gym for water-walking. We moved through the water serenely, limbs floating almost weightless as we passed others who were walking in the opposite direction, old folks steady and determined in spite of their hip and knee replacements. In the middle lane, swimmers did their laps. Some noisily splashed as they swam, others were smooth and soundless. This morning parents stood in a circle in the far lane as they sang a lullaby to their infants. Later, one of the instructors led a train of toddlers in a line behind him. The row of little bodies encased in plastic inner tubes reminded me of rubber ducks.

One day, I lived inside a book: Shakespeare, World as Stage by Bill Bryson. It's worth reading. That evening I watched the third episode of the Aurelio Zen series on Masterpiece Mystery. I savored the characters' stylish clothes as much as the plot -- what I could make of it, that is. Rufus Sewell as Zen still mutters his lines and Caterina Murino has such a heavy Italian accent that she might as well be speaking in Italian. No matter. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment