Friday, August 5, 2011

Ridiculous Rabbits


We had our monthly collage party yesterday. One of our longtime members dropped out and Katherine couldn't come so we were in flux. I invited my friend Robert to take her place, but he got the day wrong and didn't show up. That left Bob, Christina, Chris and me so at the last minute I invited Joy-Lily. Fortunately, she showed up. With her book on quilting about to be published, naturally enough she played with quilt patterns. I urged her to try something more collage-like. She replied that quilts were collages.

Bob constructed several small books featuring Ralph's Rabbit Tarot. Ralph McNeill was a dear friend of mine and a talented painter. I used to model for him at his Saturday afternoon life drawing sessions. One day I talked him into designing a Tarot deck for me. Though he knew nothing about the Tarot, he agreed. I'd give him the barest of outlines as to the deck's structure and the cards' meanings and he'd go home and make some. Each week he'd return with a few until at last we had an entire deck -- an entire deck of ridiculous rabbit cards, that is.

1 comment: