Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Poi


Bob and I took a walk by Lake Merritt. As we turned the curve, we saw a young man perched on a ledge who was whirling balls on strings. The balls were encased in socks.

"What is he doing?" asked Bob.

"Looks like juggling."

"Looks like, but isn't."

"Baton twirling?" I suggested.

"No."

So when we got within speaking range, I asked the twirler. "Poi," he replied.

"What's poi?"

"It's a tribal thing.  New Zealand. The Maoris do it."

"Really? " We watched with admiration as he whizzed the balls in intricate patterns with his wrists. "That's cool."

"Yeah, " he said. "Maori women practice it to increase their strength and flexibility for weaving. Maori men learn it as part of their warrior training."

"Really? How did you learn the skill? Did someone teach you?"

"Naw. I just picked it up on my own."

As we walked away, he yelled out,"You can light them on fire, too. I have some that are designed for that. Poi looks really cool in the dark."

1 comment:

  1. And I just thought it was a food made from taro root. You learn something every day!

    ReplyDelete