Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Mind of Its Own


I've been working on my art journal. When I first started it, I was worried that it wouldn't turn out well. I've been making collage series for years, but the stakes don't seem as high if I mess up one card in the series. After all, I can always throw it away and make another. Working in a book format is another matter. If I mess up a page, there's more at stake -- or so it seems to me. Christina, my art journal mentor, has another view: just go on to the next page; then return to your flawed page when you're in the mood to work on it some more. She claims that eventually you will transform it into something you like. So far, that hasn't been my experience.

When I messed up the pages in my first art journal, I just tore them out. After a while, there wasn't much left. This time round, I've made it a policy not to tear out my pages no matter how much I dislike them. OK, I confess, I have torn out two, but all in all, I'm learning to relax and enjoy the process. Christina claims "The book will be what it wants to be." Yes, it definitely seems to have a mind of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment